Thursday 1 December 2011

gyroscopic


image: tonynelsonakabf@thefactory

The other week I went to see Gyroscope pretty much the best and most longstanding Australian band for my generation. I think this is due to three reasons; 
1. My boyfriend would kill me if I said otherwise
2. They have kept my attention over more than three albums
3. I have seen them perform live over three times and they still impress the pants off me (take that pun as you will)

The show was held in Marrickville at a place called "The Factory Theatre", I had never heard of this venue which I can assure you is a huge rarity... It was an incredible humid Saturday night and after trekking a train and bus feeling less than glamourous, I arrived at what looked exactly like a warehouse factory. Walking into the outside area surrounded by the cool kids smoking their lungs out and the underage Raben wearing kids I walked into what seemed to look like a Mexican families backyard with a makeshift aluminium bar. With random seating and the most relaxed vibe I was thrilled when I discovered my most coveted drink of choice Bulmers Cider was on the menu. Unfortunately due to a trip tot the nearby petrol station to get cashola out I missed on that and resorted to drinking... it's really hard for me to say... Breezers, pink grapefruit Bacardi Breezers. Not only is this incredibly embarrassing I honestly couldn't understand how at the age of 16 I could guzzle 4 of those hideously sugary drinks. 

Anyway I proceeded to head inside and witnessed magic. Yep pure fucking magic. Never fail to amaze Gyrosope were awesome with the set list mixing both from their latest album "Cohesion" and the oldies. High energy with a twist on Midnight Oil's "Beds Are Burning" and the show was over. It surprised me that there was no encore but those boys certainly know how to keep you wanting more. If you haven't already go buy "Cohesion"better yet get yo' ass off the couch and buy some ticket to their next show. You will not regret it. Guaranteed enjoyment or your money back!

*Obviously I would not reimburse your tickets to a Gyroscope show if you don't enjoy it because if you feel that way you're a douche and should stop your relationship with Why I Can't Be You and me!