Wednesday 7 December 2011

corby the real deal on a talent show?

I dislike "talent" programs Australian Idol, X Factor and all those <insert country> got talent. I hate that the phrase "it gave me goosebumps" is used when an individual sings a crappy cover of a classic tune like Devil Inside by INXS. I know I shouldn't judge as I have no artistic talent in music whatsoever and I sound like a music snob... I can appreciate that these contestants have talent but the backing of having four judges, voting my the public and themed weeks like 80's power ballads does not sit well with me. The only time I have ever really invested in an individual from a talent show was JMally aka Jessica Mauboy for one reason and ones reason only, she of Aboriginal heritage and lived out in Alice Springs lost out "Australian"Idol to an Irish non Australian citizen it may sound harsh but true, did no one see the irony?!?!

Having said all of this I may have to eat my words... Introducing "Brother" by Matt Corby, you've probably heard this tune slammed on Triple J as part of unearthed artists. It's awesome, mumford and sons, city and colour with a little Finn Brothers and fuck he is a past Australian Idol contestant. E-A-T-I-N-G-M-Y-W-O-R-D-S. Going from a 16 year old school kid with this incredible hairdo that had  national obsessed to this acoustic and masculine sounding man with an artistic license people would kill for, he has made an impression.

Just listen.



video: youtube