Friday 27 May 2011

new beginnings...


              Newcastle's Bar Beach in 1960. Photo: Simone De Peak

I am admist of packing up my life for a seachange. I'm moving out of the 'burbs to the northern beaches - my favourite place in the world. Up to my neck in boxes for the move but the thing I love about moving house is coming across photographs. I found some great beach snaps from the 1960's of my Mother and her family, it is incredible seeing a whole era combined into a few photo albums.

The array of polaroid cameras which are responsible for said photographs have managed to capture authentic moments, there is nothing contrived or pre conceived. Overlooking the male faux par fashion choices such as the high waisted short shorts, yellow lensed glasses and loads of facial hair the women are all so fresh faced and organic - and of course I am biased as my Mother is particularly the most gorgeous of them all.

This is a dedicated throwback to the natural surf culture, may you never die!

image: google